Saturday, March 28, 2015

Highland Games in the Gulf Coast Flatlands

Today's weather was glorious for our plans. We were going to this years Dunedin Highland Games. Just to clarify for my friends in the UK and in New Zealand, there is a small city in Florida called Dunedin. Google it, honest, it's really there.

The sun was shining, a breeze was blowing and the expected high temperature was in the low 70's. Lovely. Our group comprised a Kennedy, a son of a Kennedy and me. It had been nearly 20 years since I had visited this Celtic Festival. It has grown and improved. We had a great time.





We saw some dancing.









We visited the Clan village.















Saw lots of cute dogs.









And a well turned out sheep or two.











Some bales were tossed over very high bars.














Some cabers were cast (but very few were turned!)



















Even the fry cook at the Chippie's was well dressed.







I was also introduced to Utility Kilts that you can see here. I keep trying to make this concept make sense, but have failed so far. I guess I thought that the main reason for kilts was to display your tartan. I looked for an explanation from a shopkeeper who sported a nice twill kilt in kind of a pismuckledun shade. He said, "Well look if you wear one to the pub and spill beer on it you don't have a big dry cleaning bill." His kilt had a loop for his IPhone case and another for a neat tool pouch. Still thinking here. Maybe there are men out there who, if given a practical alternative, would opt for a Utility Kilt rather than a clan tartan (or trousers.)  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I looked up Dunedin in your place, ( via Google) and there, standing by the sign, is the man in a kilt, the regular tartan one. What a great day out, and how did you know we have a Dunedin down here? That is the main city nearest to our younger daughter, in the South Island. A utility kilt, not much use for a builder up ladders, a drainlayer in ditches, or a truckie on a windy day, they all look a bit dangerous to me!!! Guess there must be a market for them, or else why would they advertise? Hope all is well with you, Georgia. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was looking at a map of NZ at some point and spotted your Dunedin. I do have other friends who are Kiwis as well. Perhaps utility kilt inventors just wanted an alternative for those who are not celtic? I even saw one today that was made of camo fabric. I'm still shaking my head. Otherwise all is well dear Nancy.

      Delete