Thursday, June 26, 2014

A New Favorite

Sometimes when I see the new block for the week my immediate response is, "I like this one!" Sometimes after I get it put together the song changes to, "...hmmm. I guess that'll do." This time I thought, "I might really like it when it's finished."

So, now it's finished, and I like it. However, it almost looked quite different. I think that I have mentioned that usually, choosing the fabrics for each block is the hardest part. My original concept for the colors for this block was that the larger corner triangle would be the sandy seashore, so I did it this way.

I really don't know where my head was. The very light fabric is a muslin that was on my cutting table from another project. The Japanese taupe in the smaller triangles is the lightest shade I have used so far in this series of blocks. The muslin was really too light and out of place. 








So I looked at it again and tried different fabrics out and finally decided that I preferred it if that corner triangle was the deeper sea instead. So I replaced the triangle with another fabric in darker blue. This is how it  turned out.

This block is called Waves of the Sea for Francis Austen. Another of Jane's brothers, Frank had a naval career. You can read his story on the Austen Family Album blog at:   http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.com/2014/06/block-12-waves-of-sea-for-francis-austen.html

Actually, if you look at this block the right way it looks like a fish, I think.


2 comments:

  1. I do like the darker triangle. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Georgia,

    It does look like a fish. I think I see similarities to the fish I made when I visited you in Japan and went to the quilting class with you. Yours is a lot more elaborate than the one I made!

    Thanks for your help today with the cabinets!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete